Retirement is a time of relaxation, sleeping in, traveling and, basically, doing what you want to do instead of what a boss tells you to do. On the other hand, without a regular paycheck, many seniors have to give up some of the luxuries they’ve become accustomed to over the years. But maybe they don’t have to. The fact is, there are a lot of discounts out there that can make life as a retiree, or even as a person over 50, a lot cheaper. This ultimate guide to senior discounts will help you find the places that will reward you simply because you lived to be your age.
But maybe they don’t have to. The fact is, there are a lot of discounts out there that can make life as a retiree, or even as a person over 50, a lot cheaper.
The fact is, there are a lot of discounts out there that can make life as a retiree, or even as a person over 50, a lot cheaper.
Our ultimate guide to senior discounts will help you find the restaurants, clothing stores, travel services, and health services that will reward you simply because you’ve lived to be your age.
Restaurant Discounts For Seniors
Eating lunch away from home doesn’t have to end just because you don’t commute to the office anymore. These deals are available at local restaurants just for people like you. Since you might look a lot younger than your age, don’t count on the cashier or server to offer these discounts automatically. You might need to ask for them and some might request proof of your age.
50 and up
- Krispy Kreme offers a 10 percent discount
- Steak ‘n Shake offers 10 percent off on Mondays and Tuesdays
55 and up
- Arby’s offers a 10 percent discount
- Chili’s offers 10 percent off
- Dunkin’ Donuts offers 10 percent off or a free small coffee
- Fudrucker’s gives 10 percent off senior platters
- IHOP offers 10 percent off
- Jack in the Box offers 20 percent off
- KFC gives a free small drink with any purchase
- Papa John’s offers 25 percent discounts
- Wendy’s gives 10 percent off
60 and up
- Applebee’s offers a Golden Apple Card to customers over 60 that entitles them to 15 percent off every order
- Burger King gives 10 percent off
- CiCi’s Pizza offers a 10 percent discount
- Golden Corral gives 10 percent off
- Ponderosa Steakhouse offers a senior menu
- Sonic gives 10 percent off or a free drink
- Waffle House gives 10 percent off every Monday
62 and up
- Captain D’s offers discounts on select meals on Wednesdays
- Sweet Tomatoes offers 10 percent off
- White Castles offers 10 percent discounts
65 and up
- Boston Market offers 10 percent off
- Hardee’s offers $.33 drinks every day
- Taco Bell gives 5 percent discounts and free drinks
Apparel Discounts For Seniors
Since you’ll be out and about getting lunch anyway, why not stop in one of the local malls and get a discount on some new clothes. Many national chains offer lower prices for seniors. If your favorite store isn’t on this list, it doesn’t hurt to ask the cashier if they offer a senior discount. Be prepared to show identification proving your age.
50 and up
- Bealls Outlet offers 20 percent off every first Tuesday of the month
- C.J. Banks offers 10 percent discounts on Wednesdays
55 and up
- Belk’s offers 15 percent off on the first Tuesday of the month
- Dress Barn offers 20 percent off every day
- Ross Stores offer 10 percent off on Tuesdays
- Stein Mart offers 20 percent off clearance items on the first Monday of the month
60 and up
- Kohl’s offers 15 percent discounts
62 and up
- Clark’s offers a 10 percent discount
Travel Discounts For Seniors
Many seniors today have children living in all parts of the country. While visiting them can be challenging when you have a 9:00 to 5:00 to check in every day, it’s much easier during retirement. These companies offer discounts to make that travel even more affordable.
These airlines offer discounts to seniors 65 and up:
- American Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- US Airways
If you prefer to drive,use your AARP membership to get discounts with these car rental companies:
- Alamo Car Rental
- Budget Rental Cars
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car
- National Rent-a-Car
Traveling is a big part of the retiree lifestyle. By staying in one of these hotels, you can see and do more because you won’t have to pay as much for accommodations. Be sure to tell the hotel your age when you book your room.
60 and up
These hotels all offer a 10 percent discount:
- Cambria Suites
- Clarion Motels
- Comfort Inn
- Comfort Suites
- Econo Lodge
- Motel 6
These hotels all offer a 20-30 percent discount:
- Quality Inn
- Roadway Inn
- Sleep Inn
62 and up
- Marriot Hotels offers a 15 percent discount
- Intercontinental Hotels offer various discounts at all locations
Health Discounts For Seniors
Comprehensive health insurance is one of the things working people take for granted. Older people are more susceptible to medical conditions and often need regular prescription drugs. Without health insurance that covers those prescriptions, seniors could spend a lot of money on medication. Fortunately, pharmacies across the country recognize the value seniors have made to our society and offer them lower rates. You can expect to get best senior discounts at any of these stores.
- AARP offers a prescription discount card to members that could give you access to significantly lower prices on the prescriptions you need every day.
- CVS has a prescription savings program that costs only $15 per year and offers substantial cost savings.
- Walgreens guarantees members will save at least the cost of the membership fee for their Prescription Savings Club card. Those who don’t get the full benefits will get a rebate at the end of the year.
- Rite Aid’s Rx Savings Program allows members to save 15 percent on their prescription drugs.
Enjoy Your Savings!
Whether you travel the world during your retirement years or never leave your own backyard, there are many ways to save money and enjoy your freedom. Instead of taking a part time job because you can’t afford to live on your savings, utilize these savings to keep more of your cash in your pocket.